Won`t contest LS polls: Cong MP Satpal Maharaj
Dehradun: Alleging neglect of the people of his Pauri Lok Sabha constituency, Congress MP Satpal Maharaj Thursday said he would not contest the coming parliamentary elections.
"I am hurt at the neglect of the people of Pauri Garhwal and Tehri Garhwal and have decided that I will not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls," the MP said in a statement here.
"Chief Minister Harish Rawat told the party high command that he will ensure the party`s victory from three -- Almora, Nainital and Haridwar -- out of the five Lok Sabha seats in Uttarakhand. But who will take the responsibility of the two remaining seats of Pauri and Tehri?" Maharaj asked.
Noting that Pauri and Tehri bore the brunt of the calamity last year, the MP said roads, power and water connectivity are still in a bad shape in the affected areas with hundreds of villages still disconnected from the rest of the state.
The people are facing hardships with no bridges or trolley ropeways on the rivers, he alleged.
He said despite repeated reminders sent by him to former Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and his successor Harish Rawat, none of the party workers from Pauri and Tehri had been honoured.
"The neglect of party workers from the region has hurt me and I have decided not to contest the coming polls," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi