Won`t contest LS polls: Cong MP Satpal Maharaj
Dehradun: Alleging neglect of the people of his Pauri Lok Sabha constituency, Congress MP Satpal Maharaj Thursday said he would not contest the coming parliamentary elections.
"I am hurt at the neglect of the people of Pauri Garhwal and Tehri Garhwal and have decided that I will not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls," the MP said in a statement here.
"Chief Minister Harish Rawat told the party high command that he will ensure the party`s victory from three -- Almora, Nainital and Haridwar -- out of the five Lok Sabha seats in Uttarakhand. But who will take the responsibility of the two remaining seats of Pauri and Tehri?" Maharaj asked.
Noting that Pauri and Tehri bore the brunt of the calamity last year, the MP said roads, power and water connectivity are still in a bad shape in the affected areas with hundreds of villages still disconnected from the rest of the state.
The people are facing hardships with no bridges or trolley ropeways on the rivers, he alleged.
He said despite repeated reminders sent by him to former Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and his successor Harish Rawat, none of the party workers from Pauri and Tehri had been honoured.
"The neglect of party workers from the region has hurt me and I have decided not to contest the coming polls," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?