Won`t contest LS polls: Cong MP Satpal Maharaj
Dehradun: Alleging neglect of the people of his Pauri Lok Sabha constituency, Congress MP Satpal Maharaj Thursday said he would not contest the coming parliamentary elections.
"I am hurt at the neglect of the people of Pauri Garhwal and Tehri Garhwal and have decided that I will not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls," the MP said in a statement here.
"Chief Minister Harish Rawat told the party high command that he will ensure the party`s victory from three -- Almora, Nainital and Haridwar -- out of the five Lok Sabha seats in Uttarakhand. But who will take the responsibility of the two remaining seats of Pauri and Tehri?" Maharaj asked.
Noting that Pauri and Tehri bore the brunt of the calamity last year, the MP said roads, power and water connectivity are still in a bad shape in the affected areas with hundreds of villages still disconnected from the rest of the state.
The people are facing hardships with no bridges or trolley ropeways on the rivers, he alleged.
He said despite repeated reminders sent by him to former Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and his successor Harish Rawat, none of the party workers from Pauri and Tehri had been honoured.
"The neglect of party workers from the region has hurt me and I have decided not to contest the coming polls," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP