Yatra to Kedarnath to be resumed on Oct 1: Bahuguna
Dehradun: Pilgrimage to Kedarnath shrine in Garhwal Himalayas, which was suspended in the wake of the June calamity in Uttarakhand, will be resumed on October one, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Thursday said.
The yatra will, however, be on a low key initially with only a limited number of devotees allowed to visit the Himalayan shrine considering the condition of roads in the area, Bahuguna said in his message on World Tourism Day.
Areas adjoining Kedarnath shrine bore the brunt of the deluge that struck the state on June 16-17.
The road leading to the shrine have now been repaired and the yatra can be resumed albeit on a small scale, he said.
Though admitting that the natural disaster in June has caused largescale damage to tourist infrastructure in the state, the Chief Minister said most of the popular tourist destinations in Uttarakhand "fortunately are still safe".
"Mussoorie, Nainital, Rishikesh, Ranikhet and other popular tourist destinations in Uttarakhand continue to be safe and people can visit them," he said.
Reiterating the state government`s commitment to re-establish Uttarakhand as a tourism hot spot, he said efforts are underway to put back on track the tourism industry which suffered a knock in the tragedy.
A conference of tour operators from across the country will be held in Dehradun after Dusshehra to instill confidence in them, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race