Youth does a Shravan Kumar, carries mother to Badrinath
Dehra Dun: A youth from Jabalpur has done
what the mythological character Shravan Kumar did in Lord
Rama`s Ayodhya - carried his blind mother in a basket on his
shoulder to Badrinath shrine.
Among the first thousand pilgrims who had gathered at
the shrine Wednesday which opened after a six-month break was
Kailash Kumar, who had trekked barefoot all the way from his
home carrying his mother on a kanwar (basket) to the shrine
nestled in the Garwhal region at a height of 10,278 feet.
It took Kumar four months to reach Badrinath.
Kumar braved inclement weather to offer prayers at the
"Kumar is the first such pilgrim in recent years who
has carried his parents to Badrinath in such a manner," said
Ansuiya Prasad Bhatt, Chairman of the Badrinath-Kedernath
"We must take lessons and inspiration from such
persons, who shower great respect on their parents," said
According to mythology, Shravan Kumar born during the
rule of King Dassarath in Ayodhya had carried his blind
parents in a basket on his shoulder to places of pilgrimage.
He had taken a strong bamboo stick and at its two ends
tied two baskets with ropes, placing his father in one of them
and his mother in the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town