10 held for gang-raping woman in West Bengal
Kolkata: Ten people have been arrested for allegedly gang-raping a 32-year-old-woman and assaulting her husband in the industrial township of Durgapur in Burdwan district, police said on Tuesday.
"We have arrested 10 people of which five have supposedly raped the woman. We are looking for five to six more suspects. They have been produced before a court and we have sought for their custody," Commissioner of Police (Asansol-Durgapur) Ajay Kumar Nand said.
The accused all work in a printing press in the city from where several Bengali dailies including Communist Party of India- Marxist (CPI-M) mouthpiece Ganashakti are printed.
"All the people were arrested in a night long operation and all of them are contractual workers in the press having no connection with any of the dailies printed from there," said Nand.
The alleged victim who runs a pathological laboratory at Asansol in partnership with a doctor was picked up by a group of men and gangraped in the wee hours of Monday. Her husband who works in a nationalised bank was assaulted when he tried to resist them.
"The medical test of the woman has been conducted reports of which are awaited. The biological materials found on her clothing including a pair of jeans which was recovered from the place of occurrence have been sent for forensic tests," added Nand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre