12 babies die in West Bengal hospital
Kolkata: One more baby died at West Bengal`s largest referral hospital for children here today, taking the crib death toll to 12 as hospital authorities said the deaths
were not "abnormal".
The BC Roy Children`s Hospital was also in the news in June this year when 18 babies died at the facility.
Stating that one more death took place, hospital superintendent Dilip Pal told a news agency, "On an average five infant deaths occur out of the 300 admissions daily.
"This is not abnormal as most of the referred cases are extremely critical and brought in a moribund state," Pal said.
He said babies were brought for admission at the very last stage. "This poses serious problems for us to deal with."
Maintaining that the best of care and medical attention was paid to the patients, he said the referral hospital, eastern region`s largest paediatric one, was burdened with a high rate of admission mostly referred from district hospitals.
Asked about the progress of the inquiry ordered by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee into the death of 18 infants in June, he said an inquiry committee had been formed and a report was being sent to the health department.
He said the situation was now normal and admission was going on as usual.
Yesterday, family members of a six-month-old baby boy Abir Mondal from Kaikhali who died at the hospital, demonstrated and blocked the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter