12 babies die in West Bengal hospital
Kolkata: One more baby died at West Bengal`s largest referral hospital for children here today, taking the crib death toll to 12 as hospital authorities said the deaths
were not "abnormal".
The BC Roy Children`s Hospital was also in the news in June this year when 18 babies died at the facility.
Stating that one more death took place, hospital superintendent Dilip Pal told a news agency, "On an average five infant deaths occur out of the 300 admissions daily.
"This is not abnormal as most of the referred cases are extremely critical and brought in a moribund state," Pal said.
He said babies were brought for admission at the very last stage. "This poses serious problems for us to deal with."
Maintaining that the best of care and medical attention was paid to the patients, he said the referral hospital, eastern region`s largest paediatric one, was burdened with a high rate of admission mostly referred from district hospitals.
Asked about the progress of the inquiry ordered by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee into the death of 18 infants in June, he said an inquiry committee had been formed and a report was being sent to the health department.
He said the situation was now normal and admission was going on as usual.
Yesterday, family members of a six-month-old baby boy Abir Mondal from Kaikhali who died at the hospital, demonstrated and blocked the road.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!