12-hour blockade for water affects Indo-Bhutan business
Jalpaiguri: People of Chamurchi in Jalpaiguri district bordering Bhutan on Monday blocked a key road for 12 hours demanding water that affected Indo-Bhutan business, official sources said.
The agitators put up the blockade at Chamurchi in Banarhat area at about 7 am and dispersed around 7 pm after rounds of discussions with officials.
The protesters demonstrated outside the panchayat office affecting work there and the local market was also closed in view of the agitation demanding regular water supply, the sources said.
No business could be conducted between India and Bhutan during the day as trucks failed to cross the international border due to the agitation, the sources said.
The quantum of loss is yet to be ascertained, they added.
The local people said if the district magistrate did not visit the area tomorrow to get a first hand knowledge of their problem, they would go for a long term agitation.
About the water problem, the agitators alleged that for a long time they received either a meagre amount of water or none at all for a long time.
A water project which was nearing completion would not serve any purpose as the pipe linking to the area was very narrow and would not be able to carry water at all places, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE