13 arrested for alleged Maoist links in West Midnapore
Kolkata: Thirteen people, including two Kolkata-based professors, were Tuesday arrested for their alleged links with Maoists in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district, police said.
All of them were held from Kantapahari area under Lalgarh police station, about 200 km west of the metropolis, police sources said. They include two professors - Nisha Biswas and Kanishka Chowdhury.
They were first detained after police were informed that the group came from the city to meet one of the second rung leaders of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) allegedly responsible for carrying out operations in the district, a senior officer said.
The group members however, told the police that they went to the villages to speak to people about their suffering and functioning of the government offices in the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL