13 crib deaths in Malda hospital in West Bengal
Malda: A total of 13 crib deaths have taken place in Malda Medical College and Hospital in the past 72 hours with one infant succumbing till evening on Monday.
Hospital superintendent cum Medical College vice-principal MA Rashid told PTI that all the infants had low birth weight and respiratory problems.
While seven infants died on Saturday, five succumbed yesterday.
In order to deal with the situation, more sisters have been put on duty in neonatal, paediatrics and sick new-born critical care unit, Rashid said. Besides, 14 doctors have been posted in the three wards and would work for extended hours.
The hospital, he said, has requested the state government to post more doctors.
The government hospital had been in the news for the death of 23 infants due to an unspecified illness in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India