13 infants die in 2 days at West Bengal hospital
Malda: Eight more infants died in the Malda Medical College and Hospital on Thursday, taking the death toll in the past two-days up to 13, hospital sources said.
Several babies who are presently undergoing treatment in the neo-natal ward and the SNCU ward of the hospital are stated to be critical, sources said.
Hospital authorities said, breathing trouble, low birth weight and infection were the prime causes behind the crib deaths, adding most babies were admitted to the hospital from Chanchol, Habibpur and Pakna areas of the district.
"Severe chill in the weather and lack of proper protection from the winter were also behind the new borns being infected with diseases and developing breathing troubles. Most of the patients who came from the villages were already in a very bad shape," a hospital official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?