13 infants die in 2 days at West Bengal hospital
Malda: Eight more infants died in the Malda Medical College and Hospital on Thursday, taking the death toll in the past two-days up to 13, hospital sources said.
Several babies who are presently undergoing treatment in the neo-natal ward and the SNCU ward of the hospital are stated to be critical, sources said.
Hospital authorities said, breathing trouble, low birth weight and infection were the prime causes behind the crib deaths, adding most babies were admitted to the hospital from Chanchol, Habibpur and Pakna areas of the district.
"Severe chill in the weather and lack of proper protection from the winter were also behind the new borns being infected with diseases and developing breathing troubles. Most of the patients who came from the villages were already in a very bad shape," a hospital official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31