15 infants die in Purulia govt hospital
Purulia: Fifteen infants, admitted with various complications, have died at a government-run hospital since Friday in West Bengal`s Purulia district.
Of the 15 infants mostly in the age group of 0-11 months, 10 were boys and five were girls, Superintendent of the Sadar Deben Mahato Hospital, Nilanjana Sen said on Monday.
The superintendent said that the infants were to be brought in ambulances with oxygen from block level hospitals, but it was not always possible.
All the infants had complications like low birth weight, malnutrition, dehydration and meningitis, she said.
The infants were admitted with their mothers and were treated in general beds as the hospital`s neonatal unit has only ten beds.
On an average, 15-20 infants in a serious condition are referred to the Sadar hospital from block-level ones daily, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'