15 infants die in Purulia govt hospital
Purulia: Fifteen infants, admitted with various complications, have died at a government-run hospital since Friday in West Bengal`s Purulia district.
Of the 15 infants mostly in the age group of 0-11 months, 10 were boys and five were girls, Superintendent of the Sadar Deben Mahato Hospital, Nilanjana Sen said on Monday.
The superintendent said that the infants were to be brought in ambulances with oxygen from block level hospitals, but it was not always possible.
All the infants had complications like low birth weight, malnutrition, dehydration and meningitis, she said.
The infants were admitted with their mothers and were treated in general beds as the hospital`s neonatal unit has only ten beds.
On an average, 15-20 infants in a serious condition are referred to the Sadar hospital from block-level ones daily, she said.
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on
- Funny video alert! ‘Housefull 3’ trio - Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan and Riteish Deshmukh - goes crazy
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh