15 killed after minibus falls into pond
Coochbehar: At least 15 people were
killed and 20 others injured when a minibus carrying them
overturned and fell into a pond at Dewanhat in Coochbehar
Fifteen bodies were brought out from the bus, while
four of the injured were admitted to MJN Hospital.
While nine bodies were taken to the morgue at MJN
Hospital, Coochbehar, two others were taken to Dinhata
Sub-divisional Hospital for postmortem, police said.
Locals initially did not allow the other four bodies
to be taken for postmortem, demanding senior officials visit
the site and supervise rescue work but later relented.
Fire brigade and police personnel joined them in
rescue work after a crane was brought to the spot to haul up
the partly submerged vehicle.
The dead included a school girl studying in class IX,
some locals said.
Eyewitnesses said the mishap occurred as one of the
front tyres of the minibus, travelling from Coochbehar town to
Dinhata, suddenly burst.
Locals protested at Dinhata hospital against alleged
delay in arrival of fire brigade and police at the spot.
Traffic movement along Dinhata-Coochbehar highway was
stalled for several hours following the accident. Police resorted to mild lathicharge as a mob vandalised
property at Deoanhata Block Hospital where some of the injured
The mob was protesting alleged delay in arrival of
doctors to treat the injured, police said.
The situation was stated to be normal now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read