16 more babies die in WB govt hospitals; toll 29
Burdwan/Kolkata: Four more babies died at
Kolkata`s B C Roy Children`s Hospital, which has witnessed a
series of crib deaths, besides 12 newborns in the Burdwan
Medical College, taking the death toll in two government
hospitals in West Bengal to 29 on Friday.
Though the crib deaths have raised a question mark on the
standard of medical care in paediatric hospitals in the state,
hospital authorities claimed that it was `not unusual`.
Twelve babies have died at the Burdwan Medical College
and Hospital in Burdwan district and four at the B C Roy
Children`s Hospital here since yesterday, authorities said
"The one-to-three days old babies were underweight and
suffering from jaundice, encephalitis and septicemia," Burdwan
Medical College and Hospital Deputy Superintendent Tapas Kumar
Doctors did their best to save the lives of the babies,
but all were born with critical complaints at the hospital
where 160 infants were being treated against its capacity of
60 beds, he said.
In Kolkata, at the B C Roy Children`s Hospital, another
four babies died taking up the toll there to 17 in the last
"Four babies, referred to us in a critical condition,
died in the hospital in the last 24 hours," its superintendent
D Pal said.
There was `nothing abnormal or unusual` in the death of
babies, mostly below one month, Pal said, as they were
admitted in an extremely critical condition.
Pal said on an average, five infant deaths occurred in
the hospital of the daily admission of nearly 300, mostly
referred by district hospitals.
Stating that the hospital was overburdened with patients
referred from district hospitals, Pal maintained that the best
of care was given to the babies admitted.
The health department yesterday gave a clean chit to the
BC Roy Children`s Hospital after an internal inquiry.
Director of Medical Education Sushanta Banerjee said no
lapse was found in the treatment of the babies, who were
brought in a moribund state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Will Jennifer Lopez make tunes with Calvin Harris?
- This is how you can try contouring at home! Watch video
- Here's how Modi govt plans to bring back Kohinoor from UK
- Lindsay Lohan's dad confirms it's 'baby on board' for her
- Cricket in America: India-West Indies to play three T20Is in Florida in late August