17 houses burnt to ashes in Bengal village
Jhargram (WB): A fire destroyed 17 houses, belonging to farmers and agricultural labourers, on Sunday at a village, 30 km from here, in West Midnapore district.
The police here said that members of one of the households were cooking rice with a fire made from dry leaves when burning embers, aided by high wind, flew about to set the mud houses alight at Asui village under Beribera police station.
All 17 houses with thatched roofs were completely reduced to ashes before a fire-tender arrived from Jhargram, 30 km away. Some livestock were also killed.
The Block Development Officer of the area, Pranabesh Mondol, rushed to the area and arranged makeshift camps and food to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16