17 houses burnt to ashes in Bengal village
Jhargram (WB): A fire destroyed 17 houses, belonging to farmers and agricultural labourers, on Sunday at a village, 30 km from here, in West Midnapore district.
The police here said that members of one of the households were cooking rice with a fire made from dry leaves when burning embers, aided by high wind, flew about to set the mud houses alight at Asui village under Beribera police station.
All 17 houses with thatched roofs were completely reduced to ashes before a fire-tender arrived from Jhargram, 30 km away. Some livestock were also killed.
The Block Development Officer of the area, Pranabesh Mondol, rushed to the area and arranged makeshift camps and food to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot