17 houses burnt to ashes in Bengal village
Jhargram (WB): A fire destroyed 17 houses, belonging to farmers and agricultural labourers, on Sunday at a village, 30 km from here, in West Midnapore district.
The police here said that members of one of the households were cooking rice with a fire made from dry leaves when burning embers, aided by high wind, flew about to set the mud houses alight at Asui village under Beribera police station.
All 17 houses with thatched roofs were completely reduced to ashes before a fire-tender arrived from Jhargram, 30 km away. Some livestock were also killed.
The Block Development Officer of the area, Pranabesh Mondol, rushed to the area and arranged makeshift camps and food to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies