17 houses burnt to ashes in Bengal village
Jhargram (WB): A fire destroyed 17 houses, belonging to farmers and agricultural labourers, on Sunday at a village, 30 km from here, in West Midnapore district.
The police here said that members of one of the households were cooking rice with a fire made from dry leaves when burning embers, aided by high wind, flew about to set the mud houses alight at Asui village under Beribera police station.
All 17 houses with thatched roofs were completely reduced to ashes before a fire-tender arrived from Jhargram, 30 km away. Some livestock were also killed.
The Block Development Officer of the area, Pranabesh Mondol, rushed to the area and arranged makeshift camps and food to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh