18 killed in two road accidents in West Bengal
Malda: Eighteen people were on Tuesday killed and two others injured in separate mishaps on NH-34 in Malda district.
The highway has been closed after the accidents.
Police said 16 people died when a speeding truck collided head-on with a car on NH-34 at Kaluadighi near Malda town while two others were killed when their vegetable-laden pick-up van rammed into a stationary truck at Gajol in the district.
Fifteen men and a child were among those killed in the first accident which took place about 7:30 AM at Kaluadighi, police said.
While 13 people died on the spot, three others died after being taken to Malda Medical College and Hospital, officials said.
The victims were returning to their homes at Raiganj in neighbouring north Dinajpur district after attending a wedding reception at Sahapur near Malda town.
State government has declared Rs 2 lakh as compensation to the families of each of the 16 dead people in the accident, District Magistrate Sarat Kumar Dwivedi said.
In the second accident, two people died when their vegetable-laden van hit a standing truck on NH-34 at Alampur in Gajol police station in the district.
Two others, who were injured, have been admitted to a local hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- European leaders to discuss EU future after Brexit shock
- Robert Vadra calls Subramanian Swamy `attention seeking`, `deplorable and classist` over 'waiter' remark
- WhatsApp users now make over 100 million calls everyday!
- Lionel Messi ready for crowning glory in Copa America Centenario final
- If invited for GES, would try to stop by India: Barack Obama