18 killed in two road accidents in West Bengal
Malda: Eighteen people were on Tuesday killed and two others injured in separate mishaps on NH-34 in Malda district.
The highway has been closed after the accidents.
Police said 16 people died when a speeding truck collided head-on with a car on NH-34 at Kaluadighi near Malda town while two others were killed when their vegetable-laden pick-up van rammed into a stationary truck at Gajol in the district.
Fifteen men and a child were among those killed in the first accident which took place about 7:30 AM at Kaluadighi, police said.
While 13 people died on the spot, three others died after being taken to Malda Medical College and Hospital, officials said.
The victims were returning to their homes at Raiganj in neighbouring north Dinajpur district after attending a wedding reception at Sahapur near Malda town.
State government has declared Rs 2 lakh as compensation to the families of each of the 16 dead people in the accident, District Magistrate Sarat Kumar Dwivedi said.
In the second accident, two people died when their vegetable-laden van hit a standing truck on NH-34 at Alampur in Gajol police station in the district.
Two others, who were injured, have been admitted to a local hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living