19 children die of encephalitis in Bengal
Kolkata: The number of children who have died of encephalitis in West Bengal`s Malda district has reached 19, an official said Monday.
"At least 19 children have died of encephalitis from June 3 to 16. The last death was reported Saturday night," M.A. Rashid, vice principal-cum-superintending officer, Malda Medical College and Hospital (MMCH), told IANS.
`The children, aged between two and four years, died due to swelling of the brain (encephalitis), according to the doctors at the MMCH.
Rashid said as many as 46 children were admitted to the hospital.
They exhibited a sudden onset of fever, convulsions and died within five to six hours of the appearance of the symptoms.
"We have instructed parents to wash fruits thoroughly before consuming them," he said.
Initial reports suggested a purported viral infection associated with litchi fruits resulted in the casualties. Local health workers have labelled the occurrence as `litchi syndrome` while experts are ascertaining the causative organism.
A team of experts from Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine visited the area last week and collected samples which have been sent to the National Institute Of Virology, Pune, for further tests.
The researchers are in the process of determining the exact cause of encephalitis-related deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door