2 held, 4 motorcycles seized for WB poll violation
Kolkata: With the State Election Commission and the Calcutta High Court banning the use of motorcycle for campaigning during the panchayat polls, two Trinamool Congress supporters were arrested and four two-wheelers being used were seized in Hooghly district.
Police said Bhadreswar Samanto and Bidyut Manna were intercepted on way to a meeting to be addressed by party leader Mukul Roy as they were riding in two motor cycles with Trinamool flag attached with it.
"The police intercepted and later seized four motorcycles being used during campaigning at Harinkhola near Goghat in the district," SEC Secretary Tapas Roy said.
The second phase of the poll is to be held on Monday in three districts of Hooghly, Burdwan and East Midnapore.
Tapas said that no further complaint was received during the day on violation of the commission`s order against use of more than one motorcycle in campaigns and rallies.
There were reports of violation of the ban by some political parties during the first phase of elections on July 11.
The Calcutta High Court had also directed on July 10 that the state government should ensure that not more than one motorcycle was used in poll rallies by any political party or candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?