200 miners stuck in West Bengal mines rescued
New Delhi: Two hundred miners trapped in West Bengal coal mines have been evacuated, while efforts are going on to rescue 65 others stuck in Jharkhand mines.
265 miners were trapped in various coal mines of state- owned Eastern Coalfields and Bharat Coking Coal in the two states following massive power failure across the country due to grids collapse by 1300 hrs.
"All the 200 stuck inside Sodepur and Satgram mines in Burdwan (West Bengal) have come out. We arranged emergency power to rescue our trapped miners," Eastern Coalfields General Manager, Technical, Niladri Roy told PTI.
Bharat Coking Coal chief Tapas Kumar Lahiry said six of 65 trapped in mines in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand are being evacuated. "We are hopeful of evacuating all others soon," he added.
Rescue operations are going on and power supply has been restored in some of the
"Our 40 miners are trapped inside Bargarh underground mines. Besides there are some 25 miners still stuck in Moonidih, Putki Balgora and Jairampur mines. Rescue operations are on and we are hopeful of bringing them out soon," Lahiry said.
Lahiry said though the power has been restored in Bargarh mines, there is voltage fluctuation. "Six of them are being evacuated and we are hopeful of evacuating all others soon."
There were about 3,500 miners in the first shift and majority of them came out immediately after the power cut, said BCCL Director, Technical, Ashok Sarkar.
He added that the electric supply has been restored in the area through Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) and adequate food and water are being supplied to the trapped miners.
Meanwhile, Central Coalfields in Jharkhand has prevented its about 5,000 miners from entering into about 25 underground mines in the second shift till normalcy is restored.
"There is no vertical shaft in our mines. All 5,000 miners in the first shift were asked to come out soon after the news of the grid collapse reached us," said CCL Director Technical, T K Nag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow