2010 Maoist victims of Purulia receive central grant
Purulia (WB): Family members of 13 persons who had been killed by the Maoists in Purulia district of West Bengal in 2010 were each given a central grant of Rs three lakh here.
District Magistrate Abanindra Singh on Friday handed over the cheques to the next of kin of 12 victims while family members of another had collected it on Wednesday.
The programme was organised at the office of the district magistrate.
The widow of school teacher Soumyajit Basu, who was kidnapped and killed in October 2010, collected her cheque on Tuesday as she had informed the DM`s office earlier that it would not be possible for her to come today, official sources said.
Basu was accompanying his friend Partha Sarathi Biswas, an inspector-rank officer deputed at the state IB, who was also killed by the Maoists.
Remains of their bodies were found five months later. But his wife refused to acknowledge the body as her husband`s and it was still lying in a morgue.
Naturally, Biswas` family members did not get any cheque, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry