2010 Maoist victims of Purulia receive central grant
Purulia (WB): Family members of 13 persons who had been killed by the Maoists in Purulia district of West Bengal in 2010 were each given a central grant of Rs three lakh here.
District Magistrate Abanindra Singh on Friday handed over the cheques to the next of kin of 12 victims while family members of another had collected it on Wednesday.
The programme was organised at the office of the district magistrate.
The widow of school teacher Soumyajit Basu, who was kidnapped and killed in October 2010, collected her cheque on Tuesday as she had informed the DM`s office earlier that it would not be possible for her to come today, official sources said.
Basu was accompanying his friend Partha Sarathi Biswas, an inspector-rank officer deputed at the state IB, who was also killed by the Maoists.
Remains of their bodies were found five months later. But his wife refused to acknowledge the body as her husband`s and it was still lying in a morgue.
Naturally, Biswas` family members did not get any cheque, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says