23 injured in clashes during school managing committee polls in West Bengal
Burdwan/Tamluk: Twenty three people including five policemen were on Sunday injured when violence broke out during managing committee elections of two schools in Burdwan and East Midnapore district, police sources said.
Eleven persons were injured when two rival groups fought and hurled low-intensity bombs at each other during the elections at Banonagar High School at Ousgram near Guskara in Burdwan district.
Five policemen, including the SDPO Kazi Mohammed Hussain, were also among the injured.
Six persons have been detained in this connection, sources said, adding that more senior police officers have been rushed to the spot with reinforcements.
In a separate incident in East Midnapore district`s Moyna block, 12 persons were injured when rival factions fought during similar election of Sukantu Vidyapith in Chandrachowk village, police said.
Police rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control. Rapid Action Force (RAF) have been deployed in the area, they said, adding two persons have been detained in this connection.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!