2,500 minor girls went missing in WB in 2009
Kolkata: About 2,500 minor girls have
gone missing from various districts of West Bengal in 2009,
the state government has informed the Calcutta High Court.
Appearing before a division bench comprising Chief
Justice J N Patel and Justice A K Ray, Advocate General Balai
Roy gave the information on a petition filed by the mother of
a missing girl.
Jahura Bibi had filed the petition before the court
saying that her daughter Zarina Khatun, a minor who had gone
missing from Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas district in 2009, be
traced and brought back to her.
The court yesterday directed the Directed General of
Police to present Khatun before it on October 1.
Most of the teenaged girls have been taken away and
sent to other states, the court was informed.
The advocate general told the bench that a
comprehensive scheme to stop trafficking of girls from the
state has been prepared.
The state was taking steps to set up a special cell to
track and bring back all the missing girls and a Central
assistance of Rs 28 crore has been sought for it, he said.
The bench also directed the state to take necessary
steps to trace other missing girls.
The court will take up the matter again on November
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read