2.5L people affected by rains in North 24 Parganas
Barasat: Around 2.5 lakh people have been affected due to incessant rains in North 24 Parganas
district as relief camps have been operationalised, officials said on Thursday.
Most of the municipalities are under water as altogether 2.5 lakh people have been affected, additional
district magistrate (treasury) Rahman said.
In Swaroopnagar near the Indo-Bangla border, around 8000 people have been affected after the Ichamati river started overflowing due to rains.
"2000 of them have been shifted in 90 camps made in school buildings and other safer places," the official said adding that as the weather improves, people are returning home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends