30,000 taxis went off Kolkata roads on `wild-cat strike`
Kolkata: People had a harrowing time reaching their destinations on Monday as more than 30,000 taxis in the city went off the roads on a `wild-cat strike` by drivers demanding release of 22 fellow cabbies arrested by the police for enforcing a strike last week.
Taxi drivers owing allegiance to CITU did not bring out their vehicles this morning and also forced those who were running their taxis to stop plying in different parts of the city.
The cabbies have also threatened to continue the strike indefinitely until the 22 drivers, who have been booked by Kolkata Police under non-bailable sections were released.
"We support the drivers` resolve not to bring out taxis till the 22 arrested persons are released," CITU state president Shyamal Chakraborti said.
Chakraborti, who participated in a rally and agitation by the drivers in front of Transport Minister Madan Mitra`s office, said while addressing them that they should not bring out their cabs till the arrested cabbies were released.
Thousands of people in the N S C Bose International Airport, Howrah, and Sealdah stations, hospitals and other busy places were put into great inconvenience in reaching their destinations in the absence of the taxis.
Office-goers were taken by surprise as the strike had not been announced earlier.
The cabbies are also demanding that the government`s plan to scrap permit and license of about 450 taxis for their owners` participation in last week`s strike be stopped.
Chakraborti said the drivers were holding a protest-march in support of their demands including a halt on alleged police harrassment and a penalty of Rs 3,000 for passenger refusal.
The president of Bengal Taxi Association, the largest association of taxi owners in West Bengal, Bimal Guha, did not support the strike saying, "This should not happen. The drivers must keep in mind the interest of passengers."
"The drivers should be released and the harrassment should also stop, but strike is not the way to protest," Guha observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!