400 GJM workers detained in Jalpaiguri
Darjeeling/Jalpaiguri: Around 400 Gorkha Janmukti Morcha workers, who were holding a road blockade on the second day of their 96-hour bandh to press for Gorkhaland, were detained in Jalpaiguri district on Thursday.
The GJM workers, who blocked roads since 6 am at Nagrakata, were taken to the Jalpaiguri Kotwali police station, police said.
Among those detained were GJM central committee members Rajen Lohar and Santosh Rai.
The effect of the bandh was felt at Kalchini, Malbazar, Nagrakata, Banarhat and other areas where the Gorkhas are in a majority with shops, establishments, schools and colleges closed.
In Darjeeling town, GJM workers were picketing at the Chowk Bazar. The offices of the District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, DGHC headquarters at Lalkothi, Food and Supply and Drug Control offices at Chowk Bazar were closed, SP DP Singh said.
Picketing by GJM activists was also reported from Sukhiapokhri and Sukna.
The SP said that the National Highway 31A, an important link to Sikkim, was clear of blockades with 250 personnel of the India Reserve Battalion deployed on the
stretch from Sevok to Rangli near the Himalayan state`s borders.
Ten mobile vans were also on patrol, while video cameras had been installed at strategic locations to pinpoint and identify GJM supporters and workers if they tried to block roads, Singh said.
Yesterday, GNLF leader Deepak Subba was stabbed by GJM activists at Bijonbari when he tried to stop them from removing a GNLF flag, police sources said.
Subba was rushed to hospital, where his condition was stated to be serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister