Canning (WB): In an untoward incident on Wednesday, 55 people, mostly labourers, rickshaw-pullers and hawkers died and over 100 were admitted to hospitals after drinking toxic liquor at Mograhat in South 24-Parganas district.
According to Zee News reports, the number of casualties might increase as the condition of some people is critical.
While 10 people died at Sangrampur village in the early hours today after drinking from some liquor joints near the Sangrampur railway station, 30 died in two hospitals where they were admitted, official sources said.
Reacting to the incident, SP Lakshmi Narayan Meena said, "One hundred and twenty-two people were still admitted to hospitals at Diamond Harbour and Sangrampur complaining of severe stomach ache, vomiting and loose motion after drinking the liquor."
The condition of over 100 people admitted to the hospitals in Diamond Harbour and Sangrampur was serious, the sources said, adding they had symptoms of severe stomach ache, vomiting and loose motion.
A medical team has been rushed to the area from Kolkata, Sunderban Affairs Minister Shyamal Mandal said.
Locals smashed a liquor manufacturing unit at Mograhat and the joints from where it was being sold at Sangrampur.
The state government announced compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of those who died.
State Public Health Engineering Minister Subrata Mukherjee announced the compensation in the assembly.
Union minister Mukul Roy, District Magistrate N S Nigam, SP L N Meena, Zilla Parishad Sabhadipati S Sheikh and CPI(M) leaders Rezzak Mollah and Sujon Chakrabarty visited the
Meanwhile, West Bengal government announced compensation of rupees two lakh each to the families of the people who died in the tragedy and sought the assistance of political parties to chalk out measures to combat the social evil.
West Bengal Public Health Engineering Minister Subrata Mukherjee said in the state assembly that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee who had asked him to announce the compensation described it as social evil.
Mukherjee said the chief minister has urged co-operation from all concerned including members of the house to sit together and evolve measures to help eradicate the problem.
Twenty people died and over 100 were admitted to hospitals after drinking toxic liquor at Mograhat in South 24-Parganas district today.
"One hundred and twenty-two people were still admitted to hospitals at Diamond Harbour and Sangrampur complaining of severe stomach ache, vomiting and loose motion after drinking the liquor," SP Lakshmi Narayan Meena had said.
With PTI inputs