6 CPI(M) councillors resign from civic body on health grounds
Barrackpore (WB): Six CPI(M) councillors of the Halisahar Municipality in North 24-Parganas district on Monday submitted their resignation to the SDO here, citing health grounds.
The move has now reduced the Left Front-ruled 23-member civic board to a minority and has prompted the opposition Trinamool Congress to bring in a no-confidence motion against it, sources said.
The Halisahar municipality comprises of 14 CPI(M), eight Trinamool Congress and one Congress councillors. SDO Purnendu Majhi confirmed about receiving the resignation of the CPI(M) councillors, and said the matter would be forwarded to the chairman tomorrow.
Accusing the TMC of intimidating its councillors, CPI(M) North 24-Parganas district secretary and party`s Central Committee member Gautam Deb said, "Bike-borne hooligans owing allegiance to the Trinamool had attacked the houses of ten of our councillors last night and had threatened of dire consequences if they did not resign."
"Situation was such that none of them could even approach the police to file a complaint. However, one of the chairman-in-council members Sambhu Nath Ghosh has filed a complaint at the Naihati police station against the attacks and threats," he said, adding the state Home Secretary and North 24-Parganas district magistrate have been informed about the incident.
Denying the allegations, Trinamool district president Nirmal Ghosh said, "None of our party workers went to any CPI(M) councillor`s house. They are bringing in baseless allegations against us as they are fast losing ground."
Meanwhile, Ghosh said seven Congress councillors, including the chairman of the Congress-ruled Baduria municipality, in the district have joined the TMC later in the day.
"We already had three councillors and with the Congress councillors joining us, the 17-member civic board will have Trinamool as the major party," Ghosh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?