60 percent votes polled in Jangipur
Jangipur: A total 60 percent votes were cast on Wednesday in the by-election to Jangipur Lok Sabha constituency in Murshidabad district where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit Mukherjee is a contestant.
Returning officer Rajiv Kumar said the polling was peaceful across the constituency with ten companies of central forces deployed in the sensitive areas.
However, polling was boycotted in 26 booths as a mark of protest against bad roads and lack of electricity, he added.
The by-poll was necessitated by the resignation of Pranab Mukjerjee after his elevation to the highest office. He had won twice consecutively from Jangipur - in 2004 and 2009.
The total electorate in the constituency is 12,40,000 and Mukherjee is fighting a multi-cornered contest against Muzaffar Hussain (CPI-M)and Sudhangshu Biswas (BJP).
Trinamool Congress has not put up any candidate against Abhijit Mukherjee as a political gesture despite severance of ties with the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police