60 percent votes polled in Jangipur
Jangipur: A total 60 percent votes were cast on Wednesday in the by-election to Jangipur Lok Sabha constituency in Murshidabad district where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit Mukherjee is a contestant.
Returning officer Rajiv Kumar said the polling was peaceful across the constituency with ten companies of central forces deployed in the sensitive areas.
However, polling was boycotted in 26 booths as a mark of protest against bad roads and lack of electricity, he added.
The by-poll was necessitated by the resignation of Pranab Mukjerjee after his elevation to the highest office. He had won twice consecutively from Jangipur - in 2004 and 2009.
The total electorate in the constituency is 12,40,000 and Mukherjee is fighting a multi-cornered contest against Muzaffar Hussain (CPI-M)and Sudhangshu Biswas (BJP).
Trinamool Congress has not put up any candidate against Abhijit Mukherjee as a political gesture despite severance of ties with the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015