60 percent votes polled in Jangipur
Jangipur: A total 60 percent votes were cast on Wednesday in the by-election to Jangipur Lok Sabha constituency in Murshidabad district where President Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit Mukherjee is a contestant.
Returning officer Rajiv Kumar said the polling was peaceful across the constituency with ten companies of central forces deployed in the sensitive areas.
However, polling was boycotted in 26 booths as a mark of protest against bad roads and lack of electricity, he added.
The by-poll was necessitated by the resignation of Pranab Mukjerjee after his elevation to the highest office. He had won twice consecutively from Jangipur - in 2004 and 2009.
The total electorate in the constituency is 12,40,000 and Mukherjee is fighting a multi-cornered contest against Muzaffar Hussain (CPI-M)and Sudhangshu Biswas (BJP).
Trinamool Congress has not put up any candidate against Abhijit Mukherjee as a political gesture despite severance of ties with the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates first phase of SAUNI project in Jamnagar
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why