70 year-old tribal woman killed in West Bengal
Jalpaiguri (WB): A 70 year-old tribal woman was killed at Ranicherra tea estate in Mal sub-division on suspicions that she practised witchcraft, police said on Sunday.
Budhni Tirkey who stayed with her three orphan grand daughters was threatened by several youths last evening to leave the area as they blamed her for the recent deaths in the area.
Later the youths returned in the night and forcibly took away Budhni, whose grandaughters lodged a complaint with the police.
Her badly wounded body was found today near Dooars railway line in Malbazar, the police said.
None was arrested and investigation into the abduction and killing was on, the police added.
Budhni`s grand daughters said a number of people had died of chikunguniya, malaria and malnutrition recently.
Most of the tribal families in the area are so poor that they do not have money to access medical facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened