8-10 Trinamool MPs may join Congress: Union minister
Kolkata: Congress leader and union minister Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury Saturday claimed eight to 10 Trinammol Congress MPs under the leadership of Somen Mitra had knocked on the doors of the Congress and could defect after Diwali (early November). Mitra denied the claim.
"A number of Trinamool MPs are unhappy with the autocratic manner in which Trinamool is being run. Eight to 10 Trinamool MPs have approached the Congress... Somen Mitra and his loyalists. The good news may come after Diwali in November," Hashem, the minister of state for health, told media persons in Malda.
"Many MPs and leader, who had earlier left the Congress, now wanted to return. They feel they misunderstood the Congress high command. They have lot of grievances in Trinamool. I would be happy if they come back. It would inspire the Congress in the state and overcome the present weakness," he said.
Reacting to Chowdhury`s comments, Mitra said: "I don`t know where he has got the news that I will return to the Congress. .. if I at all return, I will return openly, and not secretly."
"And if I quit Trinamool, nobody will be able to say that I have quit the party when it was going through tough times. Unlike some others, I didn`t join the Trinamool in its heyday," said Mitra, a former state Congress president, who has been sidelined in the Trinamool.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her