84-member international group held in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri: A 84-member international group was on Sunday detained by the police in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district and 22 satellite phones were recovered from them.
The group had checked in at a private hotel in Chalsa yesterday on an assignment to shoot for a Belgium TV reality show, police said.
On being alerted about the use of satellite phones by the group members which was detected by a nearby radar of the army, a search was conducted and 22 sets were recovered, said police.
Among the group, 33 were French nationals, 10 hailed from Belgium, two from Netherland and one each from Spain, Germany, England and Italy besides 33 Indians, police said.
Jalpaiguri district in North Bengal is the hotbed of outlawed Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) and police has not ruled out group`s involvement with the ultras.
Police is in touch with the respective high commissions for subsequent action as foreign nationals are involved, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof