84-member international group held in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri: A 84-member international group was on Sunday detained by the police in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district and 22 satellite phones were recovered from them.
The group had checked in at a private hotel in Chalsa yesterday on an assignment to shoot for a Belgium TV reality show, police said.
On being alerted about the use of satellite phones by the group members which was detected by a nearby radar of the army, a search was conducted and 22 sets were recovered, said police.
Among the group, 33 were French nationals, 10 hailed from Belgium, two from Netherland and one each from Spain, Germany, England and Italy besides 33 Indians, police said.
Jalpaiguri district in North Bengal is the hotbed of outlawed Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) and police has not ruled out group`s involvement with the ultras.
Police is in touch with the respective high commissions for subsequent action as foreign nationals are involved, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM