‘9/11 attacks catchword of intnl terrorism`
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday warned against the danger of fundamentalism and said what Swami Vivekananda had said on this evil during his famous speech at Chicago in 1893 was still relevant across
Referring to Vivekananda`s speech at Parliament of
World Religions at Chicago on September 11,1893, Mukherjee
said 108 years before the 9/11 attacks in New York City and
Washington, "Swamiji had spoken of the dangers of
fundamentalism and bigotry which encourage violence".
"The 9/11 terrorist attacks has become a catchword of
international terrorism", Mukherjee said.
The Finance Minister, who was a releasing a special
edition of the English translation of "Gitanjali" based on
Tagore and another book called `Nameless Recognition -The
Impact of Rabindranath Tagore on other Indian Literature` at a
programme of the Asiatic Society here, described Tagore and
Swami Vivekananda as great sons of India.
He said both the the Centre and state governments had
undertaken a series of programmes, both in India and abroad,
to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore and
To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore,
the Union Ministry of Culture, under the guidance of National
Implementation Committee chaired by Mukherjee, has undertaken
several projects, schemes and events.
He said one of the projects is compilation of a
Web-bibliography of works of and by Tagore. Apart from works
by Tagore, literary criticism and other works on Tagore
published in India or abroad have been included in the
He said modernisation and renovation of buildings named
after Tagore across the country were also among the measures
taken to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore.
Mukherjee said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
had also sent a proposal to the Centre for modernisation of
"Rabindra Bhavans" across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Bihar govt's bizarre order: No cooking, yagna between 9 am and 6 pm to avoid fire
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut