‘9/11 attacks catchword of intnl terrorism`
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday warned against the danger of fundamentalism and said what Swami Vivekananda had said on this evil during his famous speech at Chicago in 1893 was still relevant across
Referring to Vivekananda`s speech at Parliament of
World Religions at Chicago on September 11,1893, Mukherjee
said 108 years before the 9/11 attacks in New York City and
Washington, "Swamiji had spoken of the dangers of
fundamentalism and bigotry which encourage violence".
"The 9/11 terrorist attacks has become a catchword of
international terrorism", Mukherjee said.
The Finance Minister, who was a releasing a special
edition of the English translation of "Gitanjali" based on
Tagore and another book called `Nameless Recognition -The
Impact of Rabindranath Tagore on other Indian Literature` at a
programme of the Asiatic Society here, described Tagore and
Swami Vivekananda as great sons of India.
He said both the the Centre and state governments had
undertaken a series of programmes, both in India and abroad,
to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore and
To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore,
the Union Ministry of Culture, under the guidance of National
Implementation Committee chaired by Mukherjee, has undertaken
several projects, schemes and events.
He said one of the projects is compilation of a
Web-bibliography of works of and by Tagore. Apart from works
by Tagore, literary criticism and other works on Tagore
published in India or abroad have been included in the
He said modernisation and renovation of buildings named
after Tagore across the country were also among the measures
taken to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore.
Mukherjee said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
had also sent a proposal to the Centre for modernisation of
"Rabindra Bhavans" across the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference