AB Bardhan questions feasibility of Federal Front
New Delhi: Opposing the idea of a Federal Front mooted by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, veteran CPI leader AB Bardhan on Friday said such a platform was neither feasible nor would it inspire people`s confidence.
Instead, a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition pursuing credible alternate policies on people`s issues would be accepted by the electors.
"The idea of a `Federal Front` floated by one or two Chief Ministers, which is supposed to bring together the chief ministers of states who have grievances against the step- motherly treatment meted out by the Congress-ruled Centre, is neither feasible nor likely to inspire confidence among the voters," Bardhan said in a statement here.
He said the people wanted a government whose policies were opposed to the `anti-people policies` being pursued by the UPA government.
"These policies have also the support of opposition BJP which is now set on a strident communal course with the elevation of Narendra Modi," Bardhan said.
He said that only a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition "which pursues credible alternate policies on people`s issues and which steers the country on a Left and democratic course is the need of the hour."
"Such a programme-based coalition government can emerge through struggles and may be after the polls. Only such a Front can provide a viable alternative to the present dispensation," the veteran leader said, adding that the Left parties were working towards that end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22