AB Bardhan questions feasibility of Federal Front
New Delhi: Opposing the idea of a Federal Front mooted by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, veteran CPI leader AB Bardhan on Friday said such a platform was neither feasible nor would it inspire people`s confidence.
Instead, a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition pursuing credible alternate policies on people`s issues would be accepted by the electors.
"The idea of a `Federal Front` floated by one or two Chief Ministers, which is supposed to bring together the chief ministers of states who have grievances against the step- motherly treatment meted out by the Congress-ruled Centre, is neither feasible nor likely to inspire confidence among the voters," Bardhan said in a statement here.
He said the people wanted a government whose policies were opposed to the `anti-people policies` being pursued by the UPA government.
"These policies have also the support of opposition BJP which is now set on a strident communal course with the elevation of Narendra Modi," Bardhan said.
He said that only a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition "which pursues credible alternate policies on people`s issues and which steers the country on a Left and democratic course is the need of the hour."
"Such a programme-based coalition government can emerge through struggles and may be after the polls. Only such a Front can provide a viable alternative to the present dispensation," the veteran leader said, adding that the Left parties were working towards that end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars