AB Bardhan questions feasibility of Federal Front
New Delhi: Opposing the idea of a Federal Front mooted by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, veteran CPI leader AB Bardhan on Friday said such a platform was neither feasible nor would it inspire people`s confidence.
Instead, a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition pursuing credible alternate policies on people`s issues would be accepted by the electors.
"The idea of a `Federal Front` floated by one or two Chief Ministers, which is supposed to bring together the chief ministers of states who have grievances against the step- motherly treatment meted out by the Congress-ruled Centre, is neither feasible nor likely to inspire confidence among the voters," Bardhan said in a statement here.
He said the people wanted a government whose policies were opposed to the `anti-people policies` being pursued by the UPA government.
"These policies have also the support of opposition BJP which is now set on a strident communal course with the elevation of Narendra Modi," Bardhan said.
He said that only a non-Congress, non-BJP coalition "which pursues credible alternate policies on people`s issues and which steers the country on a Left and democratic course is the need of the hour."
"Such a programme-based coalition government can emerge through struggles and may be after the polls. Only such a Front can provide a viable alternative to the present dispensation," the veteran leader said, adding that the Left parties were working towards that end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video