Abhijit Mukherjee files nomination for Jangipur se
Baharampore (WB): Three candidates, including Congress nominee Abhijit Mukherjee, on Friday filed their nomination papers for bypoll to Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in Murshidabad district.
Besides Mukherjee, CPI(M) candidate Muzaffar Hussain and BJP nominee Sudhanshu Biswas also filed their papers for the bypoll, official sources said.
Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, accompanied by Adhir Chowdhury, Murshidabad District Congress Committee president, and Mausam Noor, West Bengal Youth Congress chief, filed his papers with the Returning Officer, party sources said.
The last date for filing nomination is September 22, while the last date for withdrawal is September 26. The election would take place on October 10, official sources said.
Bypoll for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat following his election as President of India.
Pranab Mukherjee had first won from the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004 and he was again re-elected in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya
- JNU rape case: Accused Anmol Ratan to be produced before court today
- President, PM Modi greet nation on Janmashtami
- Twelve people killed in American University attack: Afghan police