Abhijit Mukherjee files nomination for Jangipur se
Baharampore (WB): Three candidates, including Congress nominee Abhijit Mukherjee, on Friday filed their nomination papers for bypoll to Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in Murshidabad district.
Besides Mukherjee, CPI(M) candidate Muzaffar Hussain and BJP nominee Sudhanshu Biswas also filed their papers for the bypoll, official sources said.
Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, accompanied by Adhir Chowdhury, Murshidabad District Congress Committee president, and Mausam Noor, West Bengal Youth Congress chief, filed his papers with the Returning Officer, party sources said.
The last date for filing nomination is September 22, while the last date for withdrawal is September 26. The election would take place on October 10, official sources said.
Bypoll for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat following his election as President of India.
Pranab Mukherjee had first won from the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004 and he was again re-elected in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali