ACP, OC transferred in Aminul case
Kolkata: In the backdrop of series of protests over the self-immolation case of Mir Aminul Islam, an assistant commissioner of police and the officer-in-charge of Karaya police station were transferred Monday, though the police top brass described this as routine.
Mir Aminul Islam had set himself on fire in front of Karaya police station here on December 3 after being allegedly harassed by officials of that police station, after he took a rape victim there to file a complaint. He died on January one.
Karaya police station OC Prasenjit Bhattacharya and Assistant Commissioner (South Eastern division) Debasish Baidya, under whom Karaya police station falls, were both transferred to the Special Branch, Jawed Shamim, Joint Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) said.
Shamim, however, termed this transfer as routine.
"Several police officials has been transferred from one police station to another. Several ACs has also been transferred from one division to another. It is just a routine transfer. Such transfers keep on happening from time to time," he said.
"Several police officials has been transferred from one police station to other. Several ACs has also been transferred from one division to other. It is just a routine transfer nothing new about it. Such transfers keep on happening from time to time," said Jawed Shamim, Joint Commissioner (Hqrs).
Earlier, the city police had suspended three policemen of Karaya police station for allegedly harassing Aminul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!