Adhir Chowdhury enters prohibitory-order bound Tehatta
Baharampur(WB): After Union minister Deepa Dasmunshi was turned back from entering troubled Tehatta as prohibitory orders were in force, another of her colleague Adhir Chowdhury on Saturday ventured in and met the family of the man who died in police firing on November 14.
Chowdhury told reporters here that he crossed river Jalangi from Baharmpur in Murshidabad district by boat to go to Tehatta in Nadia district to meet the family of the victim and give them financial assistance.
Asked how he entered the section 144 Cr PC-bound area, the Union minister of state for Railways said he was not stopped.
He was accompanied by Congress MP of Murshidabad Manan Hussain and the party`s Naoda MLA Abu Taher Khan and was at Tehatta for about an hour.
Referring to the November 14 violence which led to the killing of one person, Chowdhury questioned how the officer-in-charge of Tehatta police could be transferred when it was the sub-divisional police officer who had fired. "This will hurt the morale of the police."
He claimed that the clash was between two factions of Trinamool Congress.
Chowdhury said innocent people were being arrested for the incident. "But Congress will not sit idle watching it. If needed we will hit the streets to protest against it."
Dasmunshi, Congress MP and son of President Pranab Mukherjee Abhijit Mukherjee, besides other Congress leaders were stopped by the police at Bhandarkhola on their way to Tehatta yesterday with the government citing tension prevailing in the area.
On Thursday, CPI-M leader Anisur Rahaman, Congress leader Manoj Chakraborty and BJP leader Shamik Bhattacharya were also stopped at Bhandar Khola.
One person was killed and nine others, including eight policemen, were injured in violence in Tehatta on November 14 which led police to open fire in `self-defence`.
Reports from Nadia said security was tightened in three main entrances to Tehatta and prohibitory orders under section 144 Cr PC from yesterday to November 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon