Adhir Chowdhury enters prohibitory-order bound Tehatta
Baharampur(WB): After Union minister Deepa Dasmunshi was turned back from entering troubled Tehatta as prohibitory orders were in force, another of her colleague Adhir Chowdhury on Saturday ventured in and met the family of the man who died in police firing on November 14.
Chowdhury told reporters here that he crossed river Jalangi from Baharmpur in Murshidabad district by boat to go to Tehatta in Nadia district to meet the family of the victim and give them financial assistance.
Asked how he entered the section 144 Cr PC-bound area, the Union minister of state for Railways said he was not stopped.
He was accompanied by Congress MP of Murshidabad Manan Hussain and the party`s Naoda MLA Abu Taher Khan and was at Tehatta for about an hour.
Referring to the November 14 violence which led to the killing of one person, Chowdhury questioned how the officer-in-charge of Tehatta police could be transferred when it was the sub-divisional police officer who had fired. "This will hurt the morale of the police."
He claimed that the clash was between two factions of Trinamool Congress.
Chowdhury said innocent people were being arrested for the incident. "But Congress will not sit idle watching it. If needed we will hit the streets to protest against it."
Dasmunshi, Congress MP and son of President Pranab Mukherjee Abhijit Mukherjee, besides other Congress leaders were stopped by the police at Bhandarkhola on their way to Tehatta yesterday with the government citing tension prevailing in the area.
On Thursday, CPI-M leader Anisur Rahaman, Congress leader Manoj Chakraborty and BJP leader Shamik Bhattacharya were also stopped at Bhandar Khola.
One person was killed and nine others, including eight policemen, were injured in violence in Tehatta on November 14 which led police to open fire in `self-defence`.
Reports from Nadia said security was tightened in three main entrances to Tehatta and prohibitory orders under section 144 Cr PC from yesterday to November 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir