Advani targets PM ahead of West Bengal polls
Kolkata: With West Bengal gearing up for the second phase of Assembly polls, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani has criticised the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, again.
Addressing a public rally here on Thursday, Advani said: "I usually say that Manmohan Singh is known for two titles, one is that he is a great economist and the second that he is very honest. Both the titles have vanished. He is a great economist, but the lives of the common people have become miserable, as price rise has become terrible," said Advani.
"And what to talk about his honesty, when there is corruption and corruption everywhere? Terrible corruption, there is no limit! Not even a single day passes without corruption happening," he added.
Commenting on an article published in an English daily in 2008 about corruption, Advani said even if the Congress Party wins the West Bengal elections, the country would still have lost its moral centre.
"Even if they (Congress) win, then also this government would have lost its moral centre and it would have lost its political barriers. And if you see that, lots of scams have come up together and he (journalist Siddharth Varadarajan) said this all in (an article in) 2008 and now this is 2011," said Advani.
"And all these things have proved today that Manmohan Singh is a man full of corruption," he added.
Advani also called for the electorate to vote for good governance on moral grounds.
"It is an opportunity that in Kolkata, you vote for good governance on moral grounds. Even if there are less people, but there should be honest people to be presented in the Parliament," he said.
The Left Front has been in power in West Bengal for 34 years.
The state will have elections in six phases. The first phase took place on April 18.
The second phase will take place on April 23, the third phase on April 27, the fourth phase on May 3, the fifth phase on May 7 and the sixth phase on May 10.
The total number of Assembly constituencies in West Bengal is 294, of which 68 are reserved for Scheduled Castes and 16 for Scheduled Tribes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth