After controversy, WB IPS officer’s book sold out
Kolkata: Following controversy over alleged police harassment of publishers, the first edition of `Musalmander Koronio` highlighting the plight of Muslims in West Bengal written by a senior IPS officer has sold out.
"The first lot of 1,100 copies is sold out. We have already ordered a second reprint," Indrani Roy of Mitra and Ghose publishers told reporters here on Wednesday.
The book written by Additional Director General (Training) Nazrul Islam was released on August 31.
"A book can be criticised by people and can be debated by experts. Some will like it or dislike it, but we want to clarify that there is nothing objectionable in the book," the publishing house`s owner Sabitendra Nath Roy said.
He alleged that on the day the book was released for sale, police officers forcibly closed the sales counter for three hours and pushed an employee out of the shop on College Street.
He said a complaint would be lodged with the state Human Rights Commission against the police harassment in the next couple of days.
The police have denied the allegation.
Asked if the police officer took permission from the state government to write the book, Roy said the question should be put to the writer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof