After Fukushima, Buddha non-committal on Haripur nuclear plant
Kolkata: With CPI(M) general secretary
Prakash Karat demanding a stop on all new nuclear projects,
West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday remained non-committal on whether the state government would
allow the proposed coastal nuclear power plant at Haripur in
East Midnapore district to be constructed.
"The disaster at the Fukushima power plant in Japan has
generated a world-wide debate (about the safety of such
plants). We will have to take a decision after studying
various opinions," Bhattacharjee said at a `Meet-the-Press`
programme when asked whether the state government would allow
the Haripur project in the wake of Karat`s demand.
On Thursday, Karat demanded an immediate stop on all new
nuclear projects, saying it was `elementary` for the Centre to
pay heed to public protests against such plants after the
Bhattacharjee, who had earlier pitched for the Haripur
project, said the protests there by locals and some NGOs were
directed against setting up of any industry in the area.
"There was an agitation against setting up of a ship-
building yard in the area. As a result, it could not be set
up. The agitation at Haripur was targeted generally against
setting up of industry in East Midnapore district," he said.
While a number of European countries have switched over
to nuclear power, the Scandinavian countries have not, the
Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'