After Fukushima, Buddha non-committal on Haripur nuclear plant
Kolkata: With CPI(M) general secretary
Prakash Karat demanding a stop on all new nuclear projects,
West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Sunday remained non-committal on whether the state government would
allow the proposed coastal nuclear power plant at Haripur in
East Midnapore district to be constructed.
"The disaster at the Fukushima power plant in Japan has
generated a world-wide debate (about the safety of such
plants). We will have to take a decision after studying
various opinions," Bhattacharjee said at a `Meet-the-Press`
programme when asked whether the state government would allow
the Haripur project in the wake of Karat`s demand.
On Thursday, Karat demanded an immediate stop on all new
nuclear projects, saying it was `elementary` for the Centre to
pay heed to public protests against such plants after the
Bhattacharjee, who had earlier pitched for the Haripur
project, said the protests there by locals and some NGOs were
directed against setting up of any industry in the area.
"There was an agitation against setting up of a ship-
building yard in the area. As a result, it could not be set
up. The agitation at Haripur was targeted generally against
setting up of industry in East Midnapore district," he said.
While a number of European countries have switched over
to nuclear power, the Scandinavian countries have not, the
Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read