After surviving Stephen Court fire, joblessness haunts employees
Kolkata: The fire in Stephen Court not only snatched away lives, but also jobs of employees working in offices situated on the two top fire-ravaged floors.
"We have survived the fire, but have no jobs and don`t know what to do now," Upendra Kumar, a sales executive of Microsys Technical Enterprise, a computer hardware and
software company which lost eight employees in the fire, said.
Kumar and a woman receptionist Sanchari De who were able escape the blaze were running from police station to the morgue to trace four other missing employees of the company.
Employees of the building said there were about 200 offices on the two top floors.
"By God`s grace, I went to have lunch when the fire broke out. I am alive, but how will I feed family without a job?" Rabi Patra asked.
For some employees getting another job may be a difficult affair as they suffered serious injuries while jumping off the building to avoid certain death.
- Nine Taliban militants killed in IED blast in Afghanistan's Badakhshan province
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! When Australian all-rounder James Faulkner turned Gujarati for a day
- Shocking: Woman abducted in Bengaluru, escapes rape bid after raising alarm
- Indian weightlifters earn two quota places for Olympics
- ISIS sex slave kidnapped by Indian-origin Islamic State terrorist Siddhartha Dhar