Ahluwalia promises to work to meet Hills` `aspirations`
Darjeeling: BJP candidate for Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat, Surinder Singh Ahluwalia on Monday said he would work to meet the age-old aspirations of the people in the Hills if he is elected in the Lok Sabha elections.
"I will try to meet the demand of the people in the Hills if I win the elections," Ahluwalia, who is being backed by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, said, without naming Gorkhaland, the demand for which has strengthened in the Hills since the Cabinet decision on Telangana.
Ahluwalia filed his nominations at the Darjeeling district magistrate Puneet Yadav`s office on Monday, besides, Trinamool Congress` nominee Bhaichung Bhutia and Congress` Sujay Ghatak.
GJM president Bimal Gurung had in a Facebook post yesterday urged people in the Hills not to vote for him or any GTA member but for the cause of Gorkhaland.
"This year don`t vote for Bimal Gurung or for any of the GTA Sabhasads but cast your vote for Gorkhaland. This elections we will vote for the Future of `Gorkha Community`. I have shown my sincerity for `Gorkhaland` by supporting the BJP and now it`s your turn to show your sincerity for it by voting for the BJP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march
- Bernie Sanders to emphasise agreements with Hillary Clinton at National Convention
- World's most sensitive detector 'LUX' finds no dark matter
- Multiple sclerosis: 15 warning signs you might have the condition
- India vs West Indies 2016: Long spells on Day 4 helped me rediscover rhythm, says R Ashwin