Ahluwalia promises to work to meet Hills` `aspirations`
Darjeeling: BJP candidate for Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat, Surinder Singh Ahluwalia on Monday said he would work to meet the age-old aspirations of the people in the Hills if he is elected in the Lok Sabha elections.
"I will try to meet the demand of the people in the Hills if I win the elections," Ahluwalia, who is being backed by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, said, without naming Gorkhaland, the demand for which has strengthened in the Hills since the Cabinet decision on Telangana.
Ahluwalia filed his nominations at the Darjeeling district magistrate Puneet Yadav`s office on Monday, besides, Trinamool Congress` nominee Bhaichung Bhutia and Congress` Sujay Ghatak.
GJM president Bimal Gurung had in a Facebook post yesterday urged people in the Hills not to vote for him or any GTA member but for the cause of Gorkhaland.
"This year don`t vote for Bimal Gurung or for any of the GTA Sabhasads but cast your vote for Gorkhaland. This elections we will vote for the Future of `Gorkha Community`. I have shown my sincerity for `Gorkhaland` by supporting the BJP and now it`s your turn to show your sincerity for it by voting for the BJP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000