Air quality parameters within prescribed limits in Bengal
Kolkata: Air quality in cities of West Bengal is reasonably within the prescribed limits, according to the West Bengal Pollution Control Board which has been monitoring 12 basic parameters.
"The air quality data, monitored at five automatic air quality monitoring stations, are available on the website of the WBPCB," Environment Minister Sudarshan Ghosh Dastidar said.
The 12 basic parameters were being monitored in view of a revised national air quality standard notified by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Dastidar said.
The parameters were Respirable Particulate Matters (RPM), PM 10, PM 2.5, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, ammonia, carbon monoxide, benzene, ozone, benzopyrene, arsenic, lead and nickel and were being measured at four monitoring stations at Shyambazar, Behala, Barrackpore and Durgapur.
Earlier the WBPCB used to measure only RPM, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.
The monitoring stations were at Jalpaiguri, Siliguri, Malda, Kalyani, Uluberia, Rabindra Bharati University, Victoria Memorial Hall in Kolkata, Howrah, Durgapur and Haldia.
Ghosh Dastidar, who flagged off two mobile air-pollution measuring vehicles, said there would be Green Puja Award to motivate puja organisers to make the festival environment-friendly.
The minister said that two manual monitoring stations would measure the three air quality parameters at different locations to check possible variation in air quality during the Durga puja festival.
Started with 29 puja organisers last year, the contest would be participated by 105 puja organisers this year, Ghosh Dastidar said.
"Criteria for selection will comprise use of eco-friendly material at pandals and idols, lighting, sound, fire safety, environmental responsibilities and social responsibilities," he said.
A special team of judges would declare three winners and five special prize winners, he said.
The Environment Department and the WBPCB organised a workshop last month to motivate artisans to use non-toxic and lead-free paint. Nearly 100 artisans from different clusters joined the programme, Ghosh Dastidar said.
"Monitoring of vehicular emission on the road is vested with the Anti-Pollution Cell of police and the Motor Vehicles Department under the supervision of WBPCB", the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India