All eyes on Darjeeling hills as TMC-GJM battle for ascendancy
Darjeeling: Neither Trinamool Congress (TMC) supremo Mamata Banerjee nor Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief Bimal Gurung will contest the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat, but it will be a battle royale between the two in the hills torn by the statehood demand.
The breathtaking and scenic Darjeeling Hills is this time also set to be the most-watched Lok Sabha constituency in West Bengal with TMC candidate and former Indian football captain Bhaichung Bhutia taking on the GJM-supported BJP candidate SS Aluwahlia for the election on April 17.
Darjeeling hills has been on the boil since the 80s over the demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland, beginning with the movement under the leadership of Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF) supremo Subhas Ghising who, however, later backtracked on the agitation.
Ghising was subsequently ousted in 2006 by his one-time aide Gurung, who took over the reins of the movement for a separate state.
But with the change of guard in Bengal in 2011, GJM entered into a tripartite Gorkhaland Territorial Administration agreement with the Trinamool-led state government and the UPA-II dispensation at the Centre.
But the honeymoon was short-lived after the Centre decided to grant separate statehood to Telangana by means of the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
Having survived on the issue of separate identity and statehood for the people of Darjeeling, GJM then renewed its violent agitation in the hills with the protests frequently accompanied by shutdowns.
But unlike the previous Left regime, which had just stopped short of taking stern action, the Mamata Banerjee government dealt with the matter with an iron hand, resulting in the arrest of several top GJM leaders.
Sensing the mood, GJM sounded the retreat and withdrew its violent agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!