Allegations, counter allegations after student`s body found in West Bengal
Duttapukur: A college student`s body bearing multiple injuries was on Saturday found on the railway tracks in North 24 Parganas district, with political parties making allegations and counter allegations.
Additional superintendent of police Bhaskar Mukherjee said prima facie it appeared that Sourav Chowdhury, a second year student of Mrinalini Dutta College at Birati, had died of stab injuries.
The body was found between Bamungachi and Duttapukur railway stations.
Road and rail blockades were put up by local people at Duttapukur in protest.
Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad president Shankudeb Panda claimed that Chowdhury was a member of the TMCP in Birati College and alleged the involvement of the CPI(M) and BJP.
Denying the allegation and suspecting the hand of the TMC, BJP state president Rahul Sinha claimed that the student had been a party agent at booth no. 4 at Barasat during the recent Lok Sabha elections.
Sinha said he would visit Chowdhury`s home tomorrow.
The BJP called a 12-hour local bandh in protest and the SUCI a 24-hour one.
The TMCP called a condemnation day on Monday. The CPI(M) held the TMC responsible for such incidents in Bamungachi, Madhyamgram and Barasat.
Meanwhile the police has detained two persons in connection with the incident.
They are being interrogated, police said.
The locals, in protest against the incident, have resumed rail blockade late this evening.
The district administration is monitoring the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets