Alleged baby swapping case in Malda
Malda: With 13 crib deaths in the past three days, the Malda Medical College and Hospital authorities were on Thursday grappling with a fresh problem as a woman has alleged that her baby has been swapped.
The woman, Tuntuni Choudhury of village Meherapur, claimed that she gave birth to a "boy" yesterday and the same was conveyed to her by the attending nurses.
The husband of the woman subsequently filed an FIR with the English Bazaar police station.
The child was being treated in the SNCU ward of the hospital.
Hospital authorities, however, maintained that the woman gave birth to a girl child and not as claimed by the parents.
Eight babies had died at the hospital yesterday, taking the toll to 13 in the past three days even as condition of many of them is stated to be critical.
Hospital authorities said, breathing trouble, low birth weight and infection were the prime causes behind the crib deaths.
Most babies were admitted to the hospital from Chanchol, Habibpur and Pakna areas of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened