Alleged baby swapping case in Malda
Malda: With 13 crib deaths in the past three days, the Malda Medical College and Hospital authorities were on Thursday grappling with a fresh problem as a woman has alleged that her baby has been swapped.
The woman, Tuntuni Choudhury of village Meherapur, claimed that she gave birth to a "boy" yesterday and the same was conveyed to her by the attending nurses.
The husband of the woman subsequently filed an FIR with the English Bazaar police station.
The child was being treated in the SNCU ward of the hospital.
Hospital authorities, however, maintained that the woman gave birth to a girl child and not as claimed by the parents.
Eight babies had died at the hospital yesterday, taking the toll to 13 in the past three days even as condition of many of them is stated to be critical.
Hospital authorities said, breathing trouble, low birth weight and infection were the prime causes behind the crib deaths.
Most babies were admitted to the hospital from Chanchol, Habibpur and Pakna areas of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali