Altamas Kabir backs SC move in Birbhum gang-rape case
Kolkata: Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Friday supported the Supreme Court`s move in taking suo moto cognizance of the alleged gangrape incident of a tribal woman at the instance of village headman at Birbhum district of West Bengal.
"The Supreme Court has done the right thing in taking suo moto cognizance of the shameful incident in West Bengal," Kabir told reporters here today.
Stressing that proper investigation should be conducted in this case, the former CJI added, that the apex court has the rightful jurisdiction to order an inquiry.
"It does not interfere with the state as it is at the judicial level," Kabir pointed out.
The girl was gangraped on the order of the kangaroo court at Labhpur in Birbhum district when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Be ready to tackle floods, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik's message to administration
- Watch: AR Murugadoss introduces action avatar of Sonakshi Sinha in 'Akira'
- Style queen Kangana Ranaut stuns in Grazia India's 100th issue cover! - Pics inside
- ICE vs FRA Preview: Dark Horses Iceland face favorites France in quarter-finals
- Love blooms amidst wrestling! Salman Khan-Anushka Sharma look delightful in 'Sultan' new still