Altamas Kabir backs SC move in Birbhum gang-rape case
Kolkata: Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Friday supported the Supreme Court`s move in taking suo moto cognizance of the alleged gangrape incident of a tribal woman at the instance of village headman at Birbhum district of West Bengal.
"The Supreme Court has done the right thing in taking suo moto cognizance of the shameful incident in West Bengal," Kabir told reporters here today.
Stressing that proper investigation should be conducted in this case, the former CJI added, that the apex court has the rightful jurisdiction to order an inquiry.
"It does not interfere with the state as it is at the judicial level," Kabir pointed out.
The girl was gangraped on the order of the kangaroo court at Labhpur in Birbhum district when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends