Altamas Kabir backs SC move in Birbhum gang-rape case
Kolkata: Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Friday supported the Supreme Court`s move in taking suo moto cognizance of the alleged gangrape incident of a tribal woman at the instance of village headman at Birbhum district of West Bengal.
"The Supreme Court has done the right thing in taking suo moto cognizance of the shameful incident in West Bengal," Kabir told reporters here today.
Stressing that proper investigation should be conducted in this case, the former CJI added, that the apex court has the rightful jurisdiction to order an inquiry.
"It does not interfere with the state as it is at the judicial level," Kabir pointed out.
The girl was gangraped on the order of the kangaroo court at Labhpur in Birbhum district when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!