Altamas Kabir backs SC move in Birbhum gang-rape case
Kolkata: Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Friday supported the Supreme Court`s move in taking suo moto cognizance of the alleged gangrape incident of a tribal woman at the instance of village headman at Birbhum district of West Bengal.
"The Supreme Court has done the right thing in taking suo moto cognizance of the shameful incident in West Bengal," Kabir told reporters here today.
Stressing that proper investigation should be conducted in this case, the former CJI added, that the apex court has the rightful jurisdiction to order an inquiry.
"It does not interfere with the state as it is at the judicial level," Kabir pointed out.
The girl was gangraped on the order of the kangaroo court at Labhpur in Birbhum district when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional