Amartya Sen bereaved
Kolkata: Nobel laureate economist Amartya
Sen`s only sister Supurna Dutta has died in a private hospital
She was 73 and is survived by daughter Shampabali and son
Priyadarshi, both working abroad.
Her husband Diprendranath Dutta predeceased her in 1998.
Supurna Dutta was suffering from an undiagnosed fever for
about a month. On Saturday, she was admitted to the hospital
where she passed away the next day, family sources said.
Dutta had to her credit several articles on Rabindranath
Tagore and was associated with the All India Radio and
literary section of a Kolkata-based Bengali daily for several
Her funeral was attended by Amartya Sen, his former wife
and Sahitya Akademi award-winning author Nabanita Deb Sen and
their daughters, besides other family members.
Deb Sen said, "She was my close friend. It was a great
Amartya Sen`s mother Amita Sen died a few years ago.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case