Amartya Sen bereaved
Kolkata: Nobel laureate economist Amartya
Sen`s only sister Supurna Dutta has died in a private hospital
She was 73 and is survived by daughter Shampabali and son
Priyadarshi, both working abroad.
Her husband Diprendranath Dutta predeceased her in 1998.
Supurna Dutta was suffering from an undiagnosed fever for
about a month. On Saturday, she was admitted to the hospital
where she passed away the next day, family sources said.
Dutta had to her credit several articles on Rabindranath
Tagore and was associated with the All India Radio and
literary section of a Kolkata-based Bengali daily for several
Her funeral was attended by Amartya Sen, his former wife
and Sahitya Akademi award-winning author Nabanita Deb Sen and
their daughters, besides other family members.
Deb Sen said, "She was my close friend. It was a great
Amartya Sen`s mother Amita Sen died a few years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security