Amartya Sen bereaved
Kolkata: Nobel laureate economist Amartya
Sen`s only sister Supurna Dutta has died in a private hospital
She was 73 and is survived by daughter Shampabali and son
Priyadarshi, both working abroad.
Her husband Diprendranath Dutta predeceased her in 1998.
Supurna Dutta was suffering from an undiagnosed fever for
about a month. On Saturday, she was admitted to the hospital
where she passed away the next day, family sources said.
Dutta had to her credit several articles on Rabindranath
Tagore and was associated with the All India Radio and
literary section of a Kolkata-based Bengali daily for several
Her funeral was attended by Amartya Sen, his former wife
and Sahitya Akademi award-winning author Nabanita Deb Sen and
their daughters, besides other family members.
Deb Sen said, "She was my close friend. It was a great
Amartya Sen`s mother Amita Sen died a few years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...