Amartya Sen receives special Rabindra Smriti Puraskar
Kolkata: Nobel laureate Amartya Sen was on Sunday
awarded special Rabindra Smriti Puraskar by a state-level
committee instituted by the West Bengal government on the
occasion of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of
An award of Rs one lakh was introduced by the committee as
Rabindra Smriti Puraskar (Rabindra memorial award).
The award was handed over to Sen by eminent poet Nirendra
Nath Chakraborty in the presence of Minister of State for
Information and Cultural Affairs SN Bera at a function at
the Bangla Academy here.
Sen thanked the state government for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic wins 30th consecutive Grand Slam match, Roger Federer ends Marcus Willis' fairytale
- Istanbul terror attack: 41 killed, ISIS prime suspect; Ataturk Airport resumes flights
- US polls: Barack Obama to campaign with Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump shrinks gap
- NSG membership: We 'regret' India's failure in Seoul but won't give up, says US
- Vladimir Putin lifts Turkey travel restrictions after phone call with Recep Tayyip Erdogan