Amartya Sen stuck in Congress blockade
Burdwan(WB): Nobel laureate Amartya Sen was stuck for about 15 minutes today on NH-2 near here in a blockade by Congress workers.
Sen was travelling by road from Santiniketan to Kolkata en route to New Delhi, police said.
Sen requested Congress workers to make way for his car but the party workers led by its Burdwan rural unit leader Azizul Haq Mondal lay down on the highway to stop the vehicle.
Requests by the police on Sen`s behalf also went unheeded.
Burdwan police station inspector-in-charge Dilip Gangopadhyay said the traffic build-up due to the blocakde was so large that Sen could not be taken out of it through another route and he was allowed to cross only at 1 pm after the agitators withdrew.
The party held state-wide blockade on Wednesday to protest the alleged false FIRs against Union Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and 1200 others in Barhampore for vandalising the Murshidabad district magistrate`s office last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional