Amartya Sen stuck in Congress blockade
Burdwan(WB): Nobel laureate Amartya Sen was stuck for about 15 minutes today on NH-2 near here in a blockade by Congress workers.
Sen was travelling by road from Santiniketan to Kolkata en route to New Delhi, police said.
Sen requested Congress workers to make way for his car but the party workers led by its Burdwan rural unit leader Azizul Haq Mondal lay down on the highway to stop the vehicle.
Requests by the police on Sen`s behalf also went unheeded.
Burdwan police station inspector-in-charge Dilip Gangopadhyay said the traffic build-up due to the blocakde was so large that Sen could not be taken out of it through another route and he was allowed to cross only at 1 pm after the agitators withdrew.
The party held state-wide blockade on Wednesday to protest the alleged false FIRs against Union Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and 1200 others in Barhampore for vandalising the Murshidabad district magistrate`s office last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the complete aspect of UNCIP's resolution on Kashmir
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Bangladeshi national held near international border in Jammu
- New 'talk therapy' cheap, effective for treating depression
- Turmeric compound may treat colon cancer
- Flash floods, landslides leave 112 dead in China, thousands evacuated: State media
- Shocking: Man steals car battery in broad daylight! Watch viral video