Amartya Sen stuck in Congress blockade
Burdwan(WB): Nobel laureate Amartya Sen was stuck for about 15 minutes today on NH-2 near here in a blockade by Congress workers.
Sen was travelling by road from Santiniketan to Kolkata en route to New Delhi, police said.
Sen requested Congress workers to make way for his car but the party workers led by its Burdwan rural unit leader Azizul Haq Mondal lay down on the highway to stop the vehicle.
Requests by the police on Sen`s behalf also went unheeded.
Burdwan police station inspector-in-charge Dilip Gangopadhyay said the traffic build-up due to the blocakde was so large that Sen could not be taken out of it through another route and he was allowed to cross only at 1 pm after the agitators withdrew.
The party held state-wide blockade on Wednesday to protest the alleged false FIRs against Union Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and 1200 others in Barhampore for vandalising the Murshidabad district magistrate`s office last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city