Amit Shah to campaign for assembly by-polls in Kolkata
Kolkata: BJP chief Amit Shah will campaign here in the run up to the Sept 13 by-polls for two assembly seats in West Bengal, party state chief Rahul Sinha said Tuesday.
Shah will address a public meeting in the Chowringhee constituency in the city Sep 7. He will also attend the concluding day`s proceedings at the Sep 6-7 state committee meeting.
Earlier, the state committee parleys were slated to be held at Siliguri in Darjeeling district of north Bengal. However, the party decided on a change of plans after the Election Commission announced that the by-polls to the Chowringhee and Basirhat South assembly seats will be held Sep 13.
Party general secretary Ram Lal will initiate the state committee parleys on the opening day.
The BJP won 17 percent of the votes and bagged two Lok Sabha seats from the state in the general election earlier this year. This was the party`s highest vote percentage in West Bengal.
The resignation of Trinamool legislator Sikha Mitra left the Chowringhee seat vacant, while the Basirhat South seat by-poll was necessitated by the death of sitting Communist Party of India-Marxist member Narayan Mukhopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'
- Cancer woes: Parsley, dill can actually be the cure!
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!