Amit Shah to campaign for assembly by-polls in Kolkata
Kolkata: BJP chief Amit Shah will campaign here in the run up to the Sept 13 by-polls for two assembly seats in West Bengal, party state chief Rahul Sinha said Tuesday.
Shah will address a public meeting in the Chowringhee constituency in the city Sep 7. He will also attend the concluding day`s proceedings at the Sep 6-7 state committee meeting.
Earlier, the state committee parleys were slated to be held at Siliguri in Darjeeling district of north Bengal. However, the party decided on a change of plans after the Election Commission announced that the by-polls to the Chowringhee and Basirhat South assembly seats will be held Sep 13.
Party general secretary Ram Lal will initiate the state committee parleys on the opening day.
The BJP won 17 percent of the votes and bagged two Lok Sabha seats from the state in the general election earlier this year. This was the party`s highest vote percentage in West Bengal.
The resignation of Trinamool legislator Sikha Mitra left the Chowringhee seat vacant, while the Basirhat South seat by-poll was necessitated by the death of sitting Communist Party of India-Marxist member Narayan Mukhopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!