Ammonia leakage: Owner of cold storage to be arrested
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Monday
ordered arrest of the owner of the cold storage where an
ammonia gas leakage affected nearly 3,000 people in Nager
Bazar area here.
"Many names came up as the owner of the cold storage.
But we have found that the actual owner is Kishore Sambani. I
have ordered his arrest. We will have to see that he is not
released on bail once he is arrested," Fire Services Minister
Pratim Chatterjee told newsmen.
Pointing out that the gas was found leaking through
the three valves, Chatterjee said they have been repaired.
He claimed that although ammonia had been leaking from
the facility for the past six days, his department was not
aware of it.
The fire brigade was informed of the leak at 4.15 pm
yesterday and two fire tenders with a crew of 14 were sent to
the spot, he said, adding that the firemen did not carry any
breathing equipment initially.
In a reply to a query, he then said that although the
equipment was later taken to the spot, those did not function.
A team of the state Disaster Management Group had also
reached the spot but they could not do much.
The situation was finally brought under control by a
team of the BSF, the minister said.
Chatterjee said the cold storage was located in a
narrow lane and did not have the necessary clearance from the
"I do not know how the owner got the trade licence
from the (Kolkata Municipal) Corporation," he said.
When pointed out that the Corporation had been mainly
under the control of the Left Front since 1977, he said, "I
will not reply to political questions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report