Ammonia leakage: Owner of cold storage to be arrested
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Monday
ordered arrest of the owner of the cold storage where an
ammonia gas leakage affected nearly 3,000 people in Nager
Bazar area here.
"Many names came up as the owner of the cold storage.
But we have found that the actual owner is Kishore Sambani. I
have ordered his arrest. We will have to see that he is not
released on bail once he is arrested," Fire Services Minister
Pratim Chatterjee told newsmen.
Pointing out that the gas was found leaking through
the three valves, Chatterjee said they have been repaired.
He claimed that although ammonia had been leaking from
the facility for the past six days, his department was not
aware of it.
The fire brigade was informed of the leak at 4.15 pm
yesterday and two fire tenders with a crew of 14 were sent to
the spot, he said, adding that the firemen did not carry any
breathing equipment initially.
In a reply to a query, he then said that although the
equipment was later taken to the spot, those did not function.
A team of the state Disaster Management Group had also
reached the spot but they could not do much.
The situation was finally brought under control by a
team of the BSF, the minister said.
Chatterjee said the cold storage was located in a
narrow lane and did not have the necessary clearance from the
"I do not know how the owner got the trade licence
from the (Kolkata Municipal) Corporation," he said.
When pointed out that the Corporation had been mainly
under the control of the Left Front since 1977, he said, "I
will not reply to political questions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional