AMRI authorities plan to reopen fire-hit hospital
Kolkata: The Advanced Medicare Research Institute (AMRI) Hospital authorities are planning to reopen a portion of their complex in Dhakuria, sealed off by Kolkata Police after a major fire choked 94 people to death in one hospital building last December.
"Yes, we are planning to open the unaffected portions of the complex shortly," Manish Goenka, director of AMRI Hospital, told a news agency here on Saturday.
Goenka, however, declined to give more details, saying, "We need some time to open these units."
Goenka, who was charged along with 15 others for the fire tragedy at the hospital, has been recently granted bail by the Calcutta High Court.
The December 9 pre-dawn blaze in an annexe building of the hospital, in south Kolkata`s Dhakuria, choked to death two nurses and mostly critically ill patients -- many of them in their sleep. Most doctors and other hospital employees were able to escape the building.
All the 16 accused in the case, including 12 directors, were charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
When asked about reopening the hospital complex, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Chandrima Bhattacharya said she was not aware of the development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know